The Agronomy Company of Canada owns The AGROMART Group franchise and operates out of Belton, Ontario, 20 km northeast of London, Ontario. Through the franchise arrangement, the company provides specific services for the AGROMART locations. This includes providing volume purchases of crop nutrients, crop protection products, seed etc., to minimize cost positions and capitalize on various operational and supplier efficiencies. Other services provided to Agromarts include training, group insurance and administration of group benefits, financial services including credit, banking, accounting, auditing and income tax services. The Agronomy Company also plays an important role in interpreting regulatory standards and developing guidelines for use by individual retail locations, to assist in the protection of the environment and the health and safety of all employees. Shares of The Agronomy Company of Canada are owned by La Coop fédérée of Quebec.
Our sector is seeking a:
Regional Accountant - Agronomy Company of Canada (ACC)
Work location: 17554 Plover Mills Rd RR3, Thorndale (Ontario) N0M 2P0
Status: Permanent, Full Time
CHALLENGES WE OFFER
Reporting to the Manager, Joint-Venture Accounting and Financial Services, the successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
• Consult and advise each assigned joint-venture business owners on a regular basis regarding all financial matters related to their business (relationship-building is a very important aspect);
• Prepare internal monthly, interim and year-end financial statements using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Dynamics/Navision (includes regular adjusting journal entries, lead sheet reconciliations, in-depth gross margin and costing analysis, capital asset ledgers, etc.) and provide them to the board of directors for four or five joint-venture businesses. This will involve overseeing and assisting the accounting/bookkeeping staff at each joint-venture location;
• Prepare formal interim and year-end board packages for the board of directors and attend and participate in the semi-annual board meetings by presenting a high-level overview of the financial performance of the respective joint-venture; also, act as the secretary at each board meeting by taking the minutes and preparing board resolutions;
• Prepare various return on investment financial analysis on potential capital projects and business acquisitions/amalgamations and present the results to the board of directors for board approval;
• Prepare and analyze future capital plans for board approval, prepare annual operating budgets & forecasts and generally assist the joint-venture manager in all accounting and management reporting matters;
• Assist in the implementation of Microsoft Dynamics, the new enterprise software, at their respective joint-ventures, including designing appropriate procedures where necessary to ensure consistent and accurate accounting results are achieved. Provide ongoing support with regards to the ERP system including training staff and answering questions with respect to the operations and accuracy of the system;
• Assist the joint-venture accounting staff with the year-end review and/or assurance engagements by being the main lead and contact to the external audit firm; and
• Prepare year-end corporate income tax returns for the joint-ventures and be involved in any income tax assessments or reassessments with CRA.
Regular individual travel (overnights required) to joint-venture locations across Ontario will be required.
YOU FIT THE FOLLOWING PROFILE
• You have a University degree with a Bachelor of Finance/Commerce (BMOS) and a CPA (CA/CMA) designation;
• You have 4-5 years of relevant accounting experience in preparing and analyzing financial statements (internal statements preferred), including monthly, interim & year-end adjusting journal entries (in-depth gross margin and cost analysis, various lead sheet reconciliations and capital asset ledgers); this is essential as this is not an entry-level position;
• You are proficient in Microsoft Excel and have excellent problem-solving skills in accounting;
• You demonstrate strong knowledge of business processes and experience in budgeting/forecasting/reporting and cash flows;
• You have a strong, confident, outgoing and upbeat personality with the ability to connect, interact and build long-term business relationships with the business owners of each joint-venture and the ability to work off-site independently;
• You have strong organizational, prioritizing and communication skills with the ability to meet strict deadlines; and
• An agriculture background would be an asset.
If you want to join the ranks of an organization with a bright future that provides interesting challenges, a stimulating work environment as well as a competitive compensation package, we invite you to join our team.
Send your application to www.talentslacoop.coop, by the 11/30/2018 at the latest.
We thank all candidates for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. La Coop fédérée & Agronomy Company of Canada are equal opportunity employers.
Thank you for your consideration.